Sunday 21 January 2018

My Januarys post of this and that

Hello my friends,
I hope this might cheer you on a dull grey Sunday ,or that how it is in this part of the world. I have just taken Effie for a quick walk ,she does not like the road walking ,much sooner be off the lead free running in the fields. However,needs must today as other half is not feeling too good so I have told him  to take  it  easy today  he usually drives us to the fields  along by the Fleet but as  I cannot drive Effie  had to be walked locally.
I have things to tell you today that may make you smile, it sure caused some hilarity in the family. The other morning ,by the  way I do not do mornings, I was preparing breakfast . I poured my bran into a bowl, ready for fruit and yoghurt to be added. Only one thing wrong was that I was also preparing Effies  breakfast I tipped her meat into the bowl and went to make coffee. You have probably guessed what I did ,hmmm , turned round with fruit and yoghurt and noticed I had put the dogs food on top of my Al Bran. Needless to say I did not eat it, although my daughter had hysterics when I told her,and as I am  doing Slimming World she said oh well it is Protein. Then said  I should send a picture of it to the leader  and ask him how many syns for it. I did not do that.

So talking  of dogs I have just finished this Lizzie Kate design ,and  added  the names of all our dogs ,past and present to it.
Here are the photos that I have near it.
This was our very first dog ,  Bess who was given as a present to Graeme by a friend. She was a real character and really should not have lived to 18 as she had a fondness for chocolate,our neighbour used to make her hot chocolate every day and she used to trot round when she heard the knock on the door as she knew what was coming. One Christmas she ate a whole box of chocolate gingers that the husband had under  the tree, wrappers and all. We then decided we would have a golden retriever the breed  we have had since. This was  Tristan ,known as Trissie. Loved the water and  lying on the bed.
He was always up to mischief and having 2 teenagers still at home he had 2 playmates as well as Bess.When Bess died he was lonely so we got Hairy Jack,we called him Hairy as my grandson was Jack ,Martins Dad was Jack so it got a bit confusing , especially as grandson was a toddler.
Hairy Jack loved his Bonios and would trot out to the car when we came back from shopping to collect his box of Bonios. We thought we would get another as Jack was getting older,however he was only 10 when he died. Oliver was next ,and I expect some  of you will remember him. We lost him almost a year ago this month.
Last but not least is our latest addition and probably the last is our rescue Effie.
Sorry if you are not a dog person ,but I had to explain why I decided to stitch Paw Prints. They were all so special to us and had their own characters. I have had another finish ,this was going to be finished for Christmas ,I stitched  along with Sally on our sheepie Fridays.
I couldn't resist the little buttons and was so pleased with how it turned out. I am  now doing a LHN design of a needlebook  and scissor  fob of course  featuring sheep. I will show you progress next time.  Sally is  doing a Drawn Thread piece. We don't always do the  same. I have also had a finish of a UFO which has  been in  and  out more than a fiddlers elbow.  Here is  Boughs of Holly,which will be a cushion at some point, this has been my stitch on Wednesdays recently with the Parlour Ladies.
So on  Wednesdays Welcome  Spring has taken over and it is going  to be a  pretty one I think.
Stitched over one.  I then saw Hello winter and as it has a sheep on it ,well of course this arrived  earlier in the week.
On Mondays Sally and I do a Lizzie Kate design, I started Busy as a bee my needle and me last week. I have done a little but not really enough to show you. Save that for next time. Last night I got my other Christmas design out The Christmas List.
Over  one again and I am  enjoying this one. What I will do with all  these I do  not know.  I also started a Prairie Santa this week  as I usually try and get one done in the year. I have to also finish Away we ride and Jane Austens piece. I cannot remember if I showed you this last time but this has also arrived.
It was my sons 50th on the 16th, his wife took him  to London to have dinner at the Shard. It was a complete surprise to him  and  he loved  it.  They went with 2 friends of  theirs and had a wonderful time.  They came  down on Friday for a curry so we could give him his gift. Then yesterday Sue did a surprise party at home for friends and our daughter and husband went and his uncle who Graeme looks remarkably like and his wife. We were invited but as we saw them on Friday and it was really for people of their own age we thought it nicer if they did not have the wrinklies there. Yes we really are and next month I reach my allotted life span of 70 years. How did that happen ? I am hoping for at least another 70 as I have so much to do. I think if I start going backwards instead of forwards I may be able to get it done.
I think the photo hunt is due for publication next weekend so there will be another post from me.
I have a few books to show you this week . I have just had the delivery of another but not opened  it yet so will share that next time.. meanwhile here are the ones I have had since last time.
One about the Hebrides and The ladies of Ivy Cottage is a follow on from the Inn Keepers Daughter ,which I have read and thoroughly enjoyed.If any of you are fans of Miss Read it sort of reminds me of her style of writing.
I  used to like Stumpwork  a while ago  and when I saw the design on this book well fingers started itching, not sure if I could do something this complex,but I love the book.


Last another smile to finish up with. As some of you know I have arthritis in my hands and back and at times in a lot of pain. My dear other half was reading about this and thought it may help me. It has caused some merriment I can assure you.
Hmm. I do not think my udders need this. However it does seem to help my fingers,  it is very minty,  I had just rubbed some  into  my fingers and  Effie  thought she  would give me a lick, so funny her tongue literally curled. Of course daughter found it amusing ,she is wondering what is next. So  hope I  have made you smile .  Take  care  in  the coming weeks until I post again.  Thankyou for leaving me a comment and be sure this old woman does  appreciate  your visits.
Love and hugs Barb xx

11 comments:

Vickie said...

I love LK Dogs Leave Pawprints. A friend of mine stitched it for me. I enjoyed your pictures and stories of the dogs. :D I never saw the Christmas List before Barb. It is fantastic!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely photos of your adoreable dogs Barb, what a good idea to add their names to your Lizzie Kate design. As always you have some great stitching on the go. I've heard of udder cream, I'm sure my American friends used to use it as it's non greasy so ok for cross stitch (if I've remembered rightly)

Jennifer said...

Love your doggie photos! You have so many pieces to work on. Good Luck!

Justine said...

Like Vickie I love The Christmas List too! Lovely to read about your dogs. You did a great job personalising the Lizzie Kate design.

butterfly said...


Lovely doggy post .
You gave me a good laugh this morning Barb .
That book looks a good read The ladies of Ivy cottage .
Wonderful stitch again you are stitching some wonderful designs .
Hope hubby feels better soon.
Have a fun week , hugs .

Christine said...

Great stitching Barb and I love that new Plum street design.
I had to laugh at your breakfast mishap, sounds like the sort of thing I'd do
It was lovely to see pictures and read about all your dogs.

Susan Smith said...

The beginning and end of your post definitely put a smile on my face & I just may look for that cream. You happen to be about a month older than my hubby (70 in March) and then it's my turn next year. Maybe that cream would help my hands, feet & ribs, but not sure it would make my back any better (born with scoliosis) & old age is definitely not helping (lol). I can't believe all that beautiful cross stitch, amazing. Hope your hubby is feeling better. Take care.

Barbara said...

Dear friend it's always lovely to read your posts. I particularly enjoyed the trip down memory lane with your hairy companions. They really do leave a mark on our hearts as any dog owner will tell you. Effie is a great addition to the list of past puppies. Love your finishes and projects in the works. I really admire stitchers who can do "over one" so that puts you on the list. My old eyes just can't see that well anymore. Looking forward to your picture posts....gives me a tour of your world across the pond.
Hugs,

Julie said...

A lovely photo collection to support your beautiful stitched finish.
The Uist book sounds interesting, so pleased you enjoyed the Ivy cottage, i'm looking forward to reading the second one too.
Lots of pretty projects to keep you busy.
Hope Martin is feeling much better by now.
I've heard of udder cream before, quite a few ladies used to use it some years ago.
Your breakfast incident made me smile.
xx

Andrea said...

A wonderful post. Love the stitching finishes and your WIPs. Great breakfast story too. :)

Sally said...

I love how you’ve added yours dogs names to your LK piece Barb. It looks brilliant. Thank you for showing us the photos and stories of your furry family. They are all so sweet.

I love how you’ve finished Born in a Manger and Boughs of Holly is such a sweet finish. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Welcome Spring and of course Welcome Winter when you stitch it lol! I’m not surprised that you couldn’t resist getting that one.

The Christmas List is coming along really well. Love those colours.

See you on Monday for our LK evening!

Hawthorns Scavenger Photo Hunt June

Well hello everyone ,super sets of photos last  time. Mine this time  again has been last  minute so shall we begin. The  words this month ...